Saturday 23 October 2010

The Problem Page

Hello...hello...

Sorry I've been away - but I've been very busy with callers this week. It's been all go. I don't really have much time to post today - but I just wanted to tell you that I've started to get mail. Problem letters to be precise. From worried young ladies with dating dilemmas and issues of their own. For some reason they seem to think that I, as a mature and experienced dating lady will be able to advise them with their problems.

Here is such a letter....

Dear Author,

My new boyfriend is lovely. I've been seeing him for about a month now and already he is talking about us buying a place of our own and getting married. We have been setting aside a little money each week as savings towards a deposit. He is very kind and generous and likes to buy me small gifts to express his affection. 

Last night he said he wanted to give me a pearl necklace.

Obviously I am flattered and if we weren't saving every penny for our own house I'd say yes in an instant, but I feel guilt accepting it at the moment. What should I do?

Yours, Lucinda x


Dear Lucinda,

What a lovely sounding chap. You are a very lucky girl. Some of ladies search our entire lives to find a man like that - and you must be so excited about your future together.

A pearl necklace sounds like a lovely gift. I think you should accept. Immediately. Men have very fragile egos and are as much in the dark as we are when it comes to correct dating etiquette - especially when it comes to gifts. You wouldn't want to risk offending him by refusing. He may not offer such a lovely thing again. 

I would wear his pearl necklace with pride - and if I were you - the minute he gives it to you I would be get on the phone to my parents, straight away,  and tell them all about it. After all a young lady's parents want to know that their daughter is being taken well care of by her Gentleman Caller.

Good luck with everything XX

The Author 


7 comments:

  1. Lucinda is such a lucky young woman...but I hope she doesn't put her boyfriend's pearls in her mouth to test that they're real. She may be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stephen - that's a very good point and one that I never thought of. I do hope he actually buys gives her 'the real thing' and not a cheap nasty imitation. :)

    Thankyou - for you concern

    The Author

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahahahahh. Dear Gentleman Caller, did I ever tell you about the internet dating guy who was pestering me to partake in his phone calls where, he promised, he would take me to places I'd never been to before? I already had the Thomas Cook brochure by my comfy sofa so wasn't that tempted. His name on the site was 'No Rabbit Required'. and I thought, I don't think I want to date a magician...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Scottie - what an awful (if somewhat amusing) story :) Magicians can be difficult to date. It's awful when they do that trick where they make something grow by three inches before our very eyes... :)

    Yours, as always

    Author X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree.... How romantic.....the gift of pearls.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. But surely the man should give such a precious gift while on bended knee ... not the other way around?

    Adrian :-)

    ReplyDelete